Friday, August 26, 2011

new seasons

Kia Ora!!
I am delighted to say that I'm in Oxford, New Zealand. I arrived in Christchurch on the Sunday before the biggest snowstorm in Canterbury in 70+ years. Which means I woke up to a good foot of snow and it just kept snowing. I certainly left an American summer behind for an Oxford winter! It's a new season for myself as well. Welcome to the journey.

Right now, my co-leader Gabriel and I are making the plans for the upcoming Backpackers DTS. We are getting ready for the staff training that starts on September 11th. We currently have 7 staff and 24 students from around the world. The school officially starts on October 3rd. It seems far away yet, but there is much to decided: schedules, Christchurch ministry opportunities, speakers and topics, outreach locations, etc. Much of our time is spent in meetings with the training staff or emailing contacts. I am excited because I know that God will use my gifts as an administrator and a relational pastor to run this school and disciple. I tend to be a planner, and a list maker. I like to get things done and be efficient. However, I know that for this school is soooo important to be PRAYING for the staff and students and for the people we will meet on outreach. This is about lives being transformed for Jesus and reconcilation and healing through the Holy Spirit. Schedules might changes and plans might fall through, and that's okay as long as we are listening to God and following His leading. Please join me now in praying for these students and staff. Pray that God raises up more missionaries (local and overseas) from these people and that grow more intimate with the Lord.

_______________________________________

I have an ANSWER to prayer that I want to share. I have been without a computer for about two years now and continually praying for one. A staff from another ywam school was getting rid of their old computer and has blessed me with it!! Now, it's a bit old and has it's quirks, but it is a huge blessing and I'm using it right now to update this blog. Glory to God, AMEN!!

For those who are wondering, here is an update on my finances. I needed $1,500 for a plane ticket and between the garage sale and blessed donations, I had just enough. Haha, you could probably tell that, since I'm here in New Zealand. I also needed $300 for travel insurance, I received another donation right before I left and it was exactly enough. Are you noticing the trend? :) God gives me just enough every time! I am now in need of about $2,500 for seven months of living expenses here on base. There are outreach fees as well, for when I do pastoral visits to the teams. But right now, I don't know the exact amounts. I currently have enough to get me through three weeks living here. So, for those who are praying about my finances, now you are updated on my situation.

Last night, I had a chance to see the city of Christchurch for the first time after the earthquake. I knew that it would be sad to see, but I wanted to walk around the place that I called HOME for two years, to see the depth of the hurt and realize the hope God brings. It was hard and I was emotional. I pray that God does bring hope into this place and into people's hearts. May there be Holy Spirit revival in Christchurch!!
 
Please join me in praying:
-Wisdom in some big decisions that Gabriel and I need to make (ie. outreach locations, first week orientation)
-Creativity and listening to God's voice about this school. We don't want to keep doing the same old thing because it worked in the past. We want to hear from God and move in His vision and heart for the school. We want to be flexible and open.
-For the city of Christchurch. That revival would start and people would come to know and love JESUS!!


1 comment:

  1. We are praying for you love! Jen, Vic and Liam.

    ReplyDelete