Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day to day

DAY TO DAY:
Some people may wonder, what do I do as a school leader? Here is a brief look at what I do. I varies each day, but this is the general idea.

Mornings
8am Staff meeting!
I lead a brief hour meeting with my staff. We go over details of the day, talk through how the students are going, etc. Most importantly, we pray! Eachstaff  person has a day that they are responsible for sharing a devotional, or leading us through a scriptural mediation or sharing a worship song, etc. This is the vital part of the day. We need to come together to share Jesus, pray together, encourage one another and worship God.

9am Worship & Prayer
We join with the other schools and long-term staff on the YWAM base for corporate prayer (intercession) and worship.

Fire works for Guy Fawkes day

10am-1pm Lectures
This is the time for our teaching. Each week is a different speaker and topic. We have a brief morning tea break in-between the lectures, a Kiwi tradition.

Afternoons & Evenings
3pm-5pm Work, Preparation & Fun
Depending on the day, the afternoons are for base/ community work duties (pulling weeds, mowing lawns, helping in the community), or small group time (praying, sharing and going deeper with a small group) and outreach preparation (teachings to prepare teams for outreach).

7:30-9pm Lectures or free nights
One evening a week we have an extra lecture for more in-depth teach. One evening is for meeting in their outreach teams to pray and prepare for the ministry. The other nights are free.

Weekends
The weekends are for ministry. Our students break into smaller teams with one to two staff and head to the hostels and huts. We go hiking, we cook meals with other travelers, we share Jesus and are lead by Holy Spirit in our conversations.

Weekend activity- Hiking






Lees Valley

What I do:
In between all of this I am attending lectures (as many as I can). I try to meet with my staff one-on-one every two weeks. It's a time to check in on how they are doing and pray for them.

I am also in the office a lot. I network a lot of emails. I'm emailing with upcoming speakers, international contacts about outreach, networking with other YWAM staff and even emailing potential future students. I buy the plane tickets for our arriving speakers, coordinate hospitality for speakers, manage the school budget, etc.

I also spend a lot of time in meetings (not my favourite thing). We have base leaders meetings, staff meetings, school leader meetings, etc. To run a school within a YWAM base that also runs other schools, there  is a lot of communication needed.

This last weekend I took a restful weekend off. Things can get a bit stressful here and I want to always be centering myself with Jesus. I travelled to the west coast with a Kiwi family that's very dear to me. I went for many walks on the beach, read, journaled, sang worship with the family, kayaked and left feeling filled!

Blessings and thanks for your prayers :)

Weekend off to rest, walk on the beach, reflect and find peace again 



I took a weekend off with some good friends- a dear Kiwi family




No comments:

Post a Comment