Monday, October 8, 2012

STRONG FOUNDATION



Hello my friends, supporters, family and prayer warriors! I'm trying to make my updates with more photos so you can all catch the vision of what I'm doing here. I hope you enjoy :)


        (My desk where I get all my work done)


                (BDTS 2012 Staff Team)

The 2012 Backpackers DTS is one week into action. We officially have 22 students from around the world. This is the first time since I've been involved with the school that we have more Canadians than Americans, wow! We also have students from England, Denmark, Holland, Switzerland, and Germany. It's a good mix of ages, nationalities, gender (about half and half) and we even have a married couple on the school! 


(Students practicing some basic first aid)

The first week of lectures was all about LAYING THE FOUNDATION. We had teaching on things such as  Hearing God's Voice, Intercession (prayer), Worship, Basics of Christianity, First Aid (especially useful for backpacker students) and Bible Studies. Everyone comes from different cultures, church backgrounds and family beliefs about God. YWAM is a non-denominational organization and we seek to look at the foundations of our faith and understand each other's differences. AND, it's all about going to God and discovering out what is Biblical and true to believe; in a sense, making their faith their own. A few students have already shared how they have been challenged in understanding worship and even with learning to pray outloud! So there are some big break through this week already :)

        (Our first hike up Mt. Thomas)

This week's topic is BACKPACKER EVANGELISM! We are jumping right into the focus of the school by beginning to understand this backpacker culture. We will be discussing the culture, how to reach out, and sharing the Gospel in a relevant way. Our speakers have a real heart for not just evangelism but to DISCIPLE! The great commission (Matthew 28:19-20) didn't say to only make converts but to make disciples. So how do we disciple a vagabond people group? How do we make a difference, plant seeds and journey with people to follow Jesus? These are questions we are seeking to answer and stir up with the students this week.

One thing I have been learning (from one of my staff) these last few weeks and seeking to understand is about DISCIPLESHIP. As the leader of this school, I can get caught up in being 'everything' to my students. The time, prayers and wisdom that I pour into their lives is important. But what I have to remember is that they are here to spend time with God, not me and not my staff. We are, with God's grace, being used by Jesus to speak into their lives, offer pray and insight. But it's God who does the work. It's God that we point them to. They have set aside 6-months out of their lives to seek and spend time with God. Whew! What a relief. I can be used by God and love them, but I don't have to carry their burden. You know what I mean? I am so grateful for my staff team that is speaking this into my life. I learn so much from them! They are a beautiful group that seek the Father and are led by His wisdom.

        (Ruby, Jessie, Katie & Jason)

Prayer Points:
1) Continue to pray for us as we trust in the Father to help us disciple these students.
2) Softening of hearts in the students. God is wanting to bring Freedom into their lives!
3) That our staff team would continue to grow as a family in care for each other, prayers and genuine love.

Thank you all,
Lots of love,
Nicki












No comments:

Post a Comment