Monday, February 27, 2012

Last update for now...

This is my last update for awhile. The Backpacker DTS has officially ended and all 24 students graduated two weeks ago. I had a quick week with all the students and staff as they returned from outreach. They had a chance to share stories and give a report of their time away. We also spent time preparing the students for going home. We listened, encouraged, challenged and gave insight on how to go home strong. This wasn't just some 'mountain-top' experience but a new depth with God that should pour into every part of their life. Many of our students are excited to go home, return to or start university, share stories at their church, and be missional & intentional with their lives. 

After our students graduated and left, my staff team had a week of our own debrief. The staff had a chance to share to good, the bad and the hard from outreach. It's often difficult to lead and motivate others to step out and share Jesus and to love & show grace in a small team for two months. My staff did a great job but were ready for a break

I learned so much about myself and leadership during this season. The big things are HUMILITY and PRAYER. As the school progressed, I couldn't help but see God's hand all over the details of this school. He creatively moved through this school and changed lives, reached out to the nations and I was amazed to watch it all unfold. I thank God that it's HIS school. Now, as it happens, I'm a super organized and efficient person. I am always looking at something and trying to make it better. Which means that I have many ideas and visions about how to run the next school. A few weeks ago, I was in the prayer room and I had to release these visions. If He wants me to move forward in them, then I will feel the peace to go ahead. But I don't want to add or take away anything with the Lord's 'go-ahead'. I want to walk in humility. And prayer, wow! I was challenged and inspired by some of the staff and students who intimately spent time with Jesus in prayer. It made me hunger for more. I want more prayer and more time with Him this next season. 

Now that this school is over, I am also returning home to the USA. I had originally committed to lead two of these schools, so I will be back to New Zealand later this year to prepare for my second school. The next Backpacker's DTS starts on September 31st, so I will be back in early August to get things ready. Right now, I have a few more days left in New Zealand. I have my own debrief with my leaders/ supervisors today and am tying up any loose ends from the school. I fly back to Portland, Oregon on March 5th where I will spend some time with my family. I have five months in the states to get a job, fundraise, and spend time with family and friends. 

Prayer Points:
1) Safe travels as I return home in March
2) A job and provision when I'm home
3) Rest, prayers and vision!

Many blessings to you all,
Nicki 

No comments:

Post a Comment